At some point (I hope), you may have heard of the “5 to 10 a day” campaign which started back in 1998 which has emphasized the benefits of eating fruits and vegetables. While chatting with a colleague at the Heart & Stroke Foundation (one of the partners of this campaign), I was alerted to the revised website which I wanted to share. It has great suggestions for meal planning, smart shopping as well as recipes. Visit www.5to10aday.com
Also we all know we need to eat more vegetables and fruit but I think we often forget why it is so important. Check out the list below adapted from the Produce For Better Health Foundation, also featured on the above website.
Top 10 for Fruits & Veggies
- Fruits and veggies are delicious!
- Some crunch, some are juicy, some you can peel, some you can grow in your own backyard!
- Fruits and veggies are nature’s treat and easy to grab for a snack.
- Fresh fruits and veggies – there are hundreds to choose from. Try a new one today!
- Eating a healthy diet including fruits and veggies can help contribute to your overall health and vitality.
- Eating plenty of fruits and veggies may help reduce the risk of some types of cancer.
- Most fruits and veggies are naturally low in calories.
- Fruits and veggies provide fibre that helps fill you up and keeps your digestive system happy.
- Fresh, frozen, canned and dried fruits and veggies are ready when you are!
- Fruits and veggies add colour, texture and goodness to every meal and snack.